10.21.2008

The City That Never Sleeps.

Thankfully I don't have the hard evidence to support that name, as I pretty much crashed face first into my awesome bed at the Fairfield Inn, Long Island City, around 10 last night.

That was before I got sucked into watching some crazy movie about a pie-making waitress in small town America who falls in love (or was it lust?) with her married OBGYN, while pregnant with her husband's child, and has sex with the gyno pretty much all the way up until her water breaks. I just googled the movie and found out it's called Waitress, starring Keri Russell and the hot hot hot Nathan Fillion, and was shown at the Sundance Film Festival. I laughed my ass off at her concoction of the "I Don't Want Earl's Baby" pie.

Call me crazy, but I think my interest in this movie was because of the Tylenol PM. I normally hate movies like this, but I think the hotness of said gyno and Jenna's (Keri's character) one-liners was what kept me on the line to the end.

As for work, I'm pretty much doing the same routine maintenance on instruments as I did last week in Texas, but under another field engineer, Dan. This is his turf, and he doesn't hesitate to let me know how he likes to do things, but not without giving me the "you'll find your own way" knudge.

Anyway, after tomorrow's service visit to another site (my first service call, yay!), I pretty much have all of Thursday to myself, so I'm thinking about taking a bus tour of NYC. The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to just do it, but I have to find something to do with my bags in the meantime. I definitely don't want to haul those around New York for six freaking hours.

In the meantime, here are some pictures I took today. Hopefully I'll have better ones in the coming days!

Looking toward LaGuardia


I love my bed here, but the scenery really blows.


Towards JFK/The Hamptons



This cemetery looks really neat, and objects are much larger than they appear. I'll try again soon.



"View" of Manhattan/Midtown


This bed rocks. Can't believe this hole costs $200, but that's cheap compared to most of this caliber.

2 comments:

Larry said...

I love the cemeteries in the middle of the city up there.

If the weather is decent, get out and walk around central park (if you can find a place for your bags). Don't go north of the park, it gets bad (at least it was when I was there). There is plenty to do south of the park. And I recommend China Town, it is awesome.

Unknown said...

I've seen Waitress - I really liked it, even though it was kind of predictable. The woman who directed the movie (Adrienne Shelley) committed suicide sometime after that movie was finished - it's quite sad.

I can't wait to hear about the bus tour...